Jun 14, 2005

Prozac: Old History

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I have always been a person that seems always “down” or “sad” to everyone, even when I was very little. Four years ago, this depressive state surfaced for some reason and maybe it was worse than normal or maybe I was just sick and tired of going through these “cycles” of happy/unhappy times every month or so. I ended up being able to surprise myself by actually getting enough courage to go see my doctor and telling him about it. After a talk with my doctor about my state of mind and mood and other uncomfortable things you don’t talk about to someone you barely know, he prescribed me a thing called “Remeron”. They were little orange pills and they did nothing for me. Remeron sucked, as least for me.

I returned to the Doctor and let him know about my feelings about Remeron and how it’s effects were strangely similar to M&m’s and we moved on to the next attempt at hitting the bull’s-eye; Serzone. They were big orange pills and they did nothing as well, but I kept taking them for about six months. I can’t remember why I stopped taking it. I think I got tired of going to the clinic to have my blood tested every month, just in case. (Serzone, by the way, has since been taken off the market here in Canada due to it causing liver damage. Good thing I stopped taking it when I did, I guess.)

Now we go to current issues. This time my doctor and I are playing in the big leagues. Prozac is what’s on the menu for this attempt at the bull’s-eye and I have some really mixed feelings about this most famous of happy pills. I am excited about having the opportunity to test the most popular anti-depressant in the world on my mind, but I am also very skeptical and a little worried about what it might do to me.

According to stuff I have read in the past, some dude started taking Prozac and two days later he had killed his wife and himself. In another report that’s quite famous (sadly I have no links yet to this story. Hopefully later), a retired man and his wife moved to Hawaii and he was prescribed Prozac for stress and anxiety. 2 weeks later both him and his wife were dead. Murder/suicide action. There’s actually hundreds of documented cases of people taking Prozac that have begun having irrational “self destructive” thoughts. So, I am going to be careful and watch my mind very very closely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home