Aug 4, 2005

August Long Weekend
















I stunned myself last weekend by actually enjoying myself at the cottage with my family. I didn’t expect to have a good time and planned on not going for the whole time up until four days beforehand. My brother Phil decided to drive the two hours to London to pick me up and then drive two hours back for some reason. I figured Phil was going to chew me out about not having a job for the 2 hour ride to Brampton and figured he was coming to pick me up for the sole purpose of doing so. It didn’t happen though. We listened to music and ate Frank & Gus pizza and just chilled out together the whole ride.

At the cottage finally, I was as quiet as I normally am, but there were times when I made the well timed witty comment or the right answer. I made every brother of mine laugh at least once and they never teased me like they normally do. I also had good moments with the new members of the family; almost 1 year old Zack and nearly 2 year old Shayla (Shayla’s gonna be a really cute kid). The only shitty thing was that my mom was off doing other things the whole time and couldn’t see me having a good time. I really wanted her to see me have a good time, which is actually one of the main reasons I wanted to go. She worries about me way too much.

Spent a lot more time with Jay this weekend than I normally do. Phil and Tim have their new families to take care of, so there’s not much extra activity you can do with them, so it was Jay and I a few times doing stuff. I took the paddle boat out to the step bridge on the other side of the lake basically because I had never done it and Jay followed me back in the kayak, just chatting about things and bumping into me and stuff.

I am still quite happy about this realization that I am most comfortable when I make my own decisions. Last month I was invited to a party and instead of doing my standard thing and going with what Sandra was doing and just following her plans, I decided to ride my bike to the party. I was in control of when I came and went and it made me quite comfortable while I was at the party. The same thing happened last weekend. I had no real idea how I was going to get home. Phil wasn’t going to drive me back and Jay was on his motorcycle. Tim offered to take me back to Port Dover with him and hang out there for a few days and then take me into his job on Thursday (which would have been today actually) and put me on a truck back to London. I didn’t like the idea, but I appreciated the offer and said I would think about it. By the next day, I had decided to pay the forty bucks and take the train direct to London instead and everyone I told this to said “Oh. I thought you were going back with Tim.” Why would they think that? Because it was offered and it was free? Because it left the responsibility to someone other than me?

I took the train home and enjoyed it, even though there were the standard annoying delays.

My mom never saw me have the good time that I had had at the cottage and she still worries about me.

Wow, this entry got long… Anyway, that was my pretty fun weekend. It was good to get away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home