Aug 14, 2005

Alexander Supertramp

Years ago, I used to have this cool idea about how I would just leave and go off into some forest with a tent and some pots and pans and live that way for a while. Maybe a long while. Whenever I would drive up north and go through the rural areas before reaching the cottage, I would look at the huge patches of trees in the middle of some farmers crops and wonder how long those small forests had been empty and how cool it would be to just sit in the middle of all those trees in complete silence for a while.

I recently read “Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer, the story of Chris McAndless going off into the empty space located in the center of Alaska to live with only a bag of rice and a rifle. It’s an incredible story! After reading this, I picked up an awesome book of Zen essays called "A Flower Does Not Talk" and it's filled with thoughts on "emptiness" and "silencing the mind" and "dying while remaining alive". It's amazing stuff. These two books have started me thinking again about my old daydreams of going off on my own somewhere to find quiet.

I’m actually getting to the point where I am scoping out places to do this little test of will.



The night would be a little frightening, wouldn’t it? Monsters don’t exist, but they totally would exist in the forest by myself at night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home